Katie guides her clients to achieve their business objectives through strategic portfolio curation and portfolio monetization strategies. Her experience collaborating with entrepreneurs has led to creation of multiple portfolios receiving over billion-dollar valuations. Her practice includes:
- Strategic intellectual property counsel relating to biotechnology, chemical, pharmaceutical, and other life science companies
- Patent prosecution that focuses on monetization, defensible protection and the advisability of relying upon alternative forms of protection that may be available
- Counseling for companies raising growth capital, executing strategic partnerships and merger and acquisition transactions, and going public
- Conducting comprehensive due diligence and opinion work
- Guiding innovative companies through the intricacies of patent invalidation challenges and litigation disputes with an emphasis on abbreviated new drug applications and the Hatch-Waxman Act
Katie is a partner and chair of CALDWELL’s life sciences practice group. Katie works with venture-backed biotechnology companies to develop global IP portfolio strategies tailored to clients’ individual business goals. She is known for her experience with developing enforcement strategies, negotiating licensing rights, using intellectual property to secure debt and equity-based funding, generating revenue through collaborations, technology transfer, and determining patent value.
Katie has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Fox Business, and Nature Biotechnology for her intellectual prowess governing legal and scientific disputes. Katie has advised on IP issues related to immunotherapy, antibody technologies, microbiome-based technologies, biologics, small molecule therapeutics, therapeutic vaccines, bioinformatics, drug delivery systems, drug formulations, and digital health.
Katie is the chair of the Chemistry and the Law division of the American Chemical Society. She is a fixture of the entrepreneurial ecosystem and provides pro-bono legal advice in partnership with MIT Sandbox and MassChallenge.